In the beginning...

Kenningtons Primary School was first opened as separate Infant and Junior Schools on Monday 25th April 1955. The Headmasters of both schools recorded the historic day in their respective Headteacher Log Books detailing the names of all the staff and the number of children joining the school. Kenningtons Infants School started life with 368 pupils while just across the site, Kenningtons Juniors School enrolled 275 children, although the Infants school was so big they commandeered two classrooms in the Junior School as well.  Today, Kenningtons Primary Academy has 371 children attending which is just over half the total number of 638 who came to school here in 1955/56. To accommodate everyone class sizes were subsequently somewhat bigger than children of today are used to; Class 2 in April 1955 in the Juniors School had 47 children.

In a time way before computer records were available, details of all pupils who joined the Infant and Junior schools had to be hand written into the Register of Admission and Withdrawal. The photo to the left shows the first page of the register from the Infants school. Can you imagine writing in the details of over 350 pupils?!

To look closer at the Register, click here.

The Headteacher’s Log Book was a compulsory record of day to day life in school from when Kenningtons Infants and Juniors Schools opened, right up until the end of the 1980s. Headteachers had to record all the goings on at school including staff absences, problems with school equipment and incidents involving vandalism and  trespassers on the school site  as well the nicer occurrences such as prize givings, Christmas plays and school trips. The photo to the right shows how the first Headmaster of Kenningtons Infants School recorded problems with the boiler in January 1963.

On a slightly warmer note, to the left is Mr Winsford, Headmaster of Kenningtons Junior School, explaining the examination timetable and the school trip to the Tower of London back in July 1958.

To look closer at the log book above, click here.

Kenningtons Junior School had several sport teams including a rugby team and the football team. Below is a photo of one of the early football teams complete with trophy. Click here for a closer look.





School photos were an important part of life back in the 1960s, just as they are today. The photo below is one of the whole 2nd year juniors in 1964. 2nd year would be today’s Year 4. 



 Click here for a close up.

In the past every incident that resulted in a pupil being punished was recorded in the ‘Punishment Book’. The Kenningtons Primary archives have two such books; one from the 1950s and 60s and one recording incidents from the 1970s. Below is an excerpt from 1977 that includes Mrs Shea’s husband Richard!


Kenningtons Primary School

The two Kenningtons schools were joined together in April 1981, 26 years after opening. By this time pupil numbers had decreased as classroom sizes became smaller. The headteacher of the new Kenningtons Primary School, Mr Hall, recorded the first day in his log book which can be seen to the left. For a closer look, click here.


Kenningtons Primary Academy, 1st September 2012

Kenningtons remained as a Primary School for another 30 years until becoming Kenningtons Primary Academy on 1st September 2012. The school will celebrate 60 successful years in 2015.